Your InterWieners are avid runners and we’ve compiled our 5 favorite places to run in Vienna. Depending on where you live or are staying, you’ll likely be able to reach some of these areas directly on foot. But we’re including some public transport options to drop you in exactly the right spot to get running. Check out the map below for each location.
- Prater: a large public park in Vienna’s 2nd district. A number of running races are organized here, so you might end up on one of the side paths, or why not participate? Easiest access is from Ubahn stop Praterstern on the U2 line.
- Donauinsel: a long, narrow island between the Danube River and the Neue Donau. A dream for 21.1 traffic-free kilometers from tip to tip. There are a couple of FKK (nudist) zones on the island but no need to disrobe to run through them. Access to Donauinsel is easy by Ubahn (U1 stop Donauinsel, U6 stops Neue Donau or Handelskai, U2 stop Donaustadtbrücke).
- The Ring Road: A sightseeing 5km loop around the city centre along Vienna’s Ringstrasse. Stay alert for bikes in the bike lane and lights for cars and pedestrians – but do enjoy the close-ups as you pass the Opera, Parliament, Rathaus, and many other monumental buildings. The Ubahn stops at the following stations close to the Ring Road: Schottenring (U2, U4), Schwedenplatz (U1, U4), Stubentor (U3), Statdpark (U4), Karlsplatz (U1, U2, U4), Museumsquartier (U2), Volkstheater (U2, U3), Rathaus (U2), Schottentor (U2).
- Danube Canal: For a fun urban run, where you’ll get to see some amazing graffiti art and spot some Hundertwasser architecture, head to the Donau Canal. Jump off the Ubahn at any of the following stops and you’ll be steps away from the canal: Spittelau (U4, U6), Friedensbrücke (U4), Roßauer Lände (U4), Schottenring (U2, U4), Schwedenplatz (U1).
- Lobau: For a more nature-oriented run, we like the Lobau National Park with its wide-choice of well-maintained trails, relaxing scenery, and historical richness (Napoleon suffered his first major defeat there). Directions to the Lobau can be found here. We’re also linking to the bus schedules.